Friday, April 24, 2015

The Frontier Pistol

This pistol is wifely named "The Frontier".
.50 cal Knight DISC barrel front piece with 6x.75mm nipple underhammer style.  I am not sure if this barrel piece is stainless or not.
Older lock (finally!).
Cherry stock.
The front of the stock will have a brass band like rifles do, I like it that way.

I am hoping that this pistol will be target quality, I'll determine that after a time at the range.



Bench top layout.  Barrel is .50 cal with a 5/8-16 3-line bolt plug.  Old lock that will finally be put to service.










The inlet, part of it anyways.  I use a Swiss half round gouge for this part, really sharp!  Red sharpie for the inletting.  Really messy stuff, need to wear gloves doing this part.







Lock sitting in the stock, not secured yet.
Securing the lock could be with brass pins.
Brass band will be forward of the green zip ties.
My really old wood rasp here, it wouldn't work, so it was layed down on the belt sander and slightly flattened the points to become a collection of tiny chisels.  It works better this way.




Tang is screwed to the plug (8-32).  I will try to get my neighbor to weld it together so that the forward tang screws will disappear.  Rear sight can be on the tang (already D/T for that) and the front sight will be right about where the green zippies are.





Apr/25/2015
Action Mounted with 3/32 inch diameter pins.
Ready for cap popping.










Apr/26/2015
Popped a cap.  Now for range time???




IdeZilla

Comments Welcomed.

No comments: